or: Some Sewing For Fun
A few weeks back Dennis (you, know, the husband/programmer/webmaster), who never seems to notice anything regarding home dec or fabric, commented on the ratty state of our old tea cozy.
He was right, you know. I made the old one 14 years ago. The filling was some sort of thin batting (and it didn’t really keep the tea warm for long) that lost it’s fluffy-ness 10 years ago. Also – the fabric screams 90’s (so I guess it will soon be retro-cool?) and reminds of the apartment I lived in with my son’s father, so you know. Looong overdue for change.
Anyway. When he mentioned it, I could see that I had to do something about it. That same day I bought a meter of each of the two patchwork cottons I’d had used when I made a small box bag recently + some thermal interfacing. Washed them, hung them close to the furnace to dry, and the very next morning I got out the fabric, the old tea cozy and the tea pot and started to make a pattern by comparing tea pot measurements and old tea cozy.
And this is what came out of it. A lovely new tea cozy (that actually keeps the tea warm for a long time):
I used a double layer of the thermal interfacing (as recommended by the manufacturer – all though one wonders why they just don’t make it in a double layer then) and it’s a bit stiff to work with, but it went okay (all though a walking foot would have been nice). I can’t bother with bias tape, so I did a right-sides-togheter-turn-press-edgestitch thing instead. Worked fine.
That was quickly done, and then I had a lot of fabric left, so I decided to make matching pot holders. Still some left, so I made bread basket napkins thing-ies.
There is still a little fabric left. I think they’ll be small zipped pouches. I can’t do more for the table. It already looks like I’m a person who enjoys to sew and works in a fabric store with coordinating fabric. And we all know that’s not like me at all….